Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An update on my kid and her school bully, but mostly a thank you!

I'd like to start by saying THANK YOU! I wrote a post on Monday about how I was at a bit of a loss because I thought E might be getting bullied at school and I wasn't sure what I should do about it. Was I overreacting? Could kids get kicked out of preschool? Who should I talk to?

The outpouring of support via comments, email, texts was amazing! Thank you! You all gave me the support and confidence to talk to the Assistant Director of E's preschool. I felt like I had all of you with me, supporting me when we had the tough conversation this morning. It should be said that I couldn't connect with her on Monday, so I sent her an email to initiate the conversation. We didn't connect yesterday either, but another teacher mentioned that she had talked to them. But, finally, this morning when dropping off E she shared with me the conversations with all the teachers that E interacts with and the plan they've come up with. I won't get into the details, but I'm pleased with how they've handled it.

You place an enormous responsibility in the people that care for your child. You hope they love them enough and help them feel safe. I've had concerns and issues with E's school in the past, but they really stepped up to the plate here. They prioritized her. They valued her emotional and physical safety. They came up with a plan that, at least for now, will keep her happy and healthy. And that, is so valuable to me. No one is getting kicked out. Parents are being kept in the loop. Communication is happening and hopefully behavior will change. That's the best we can ask for when working with 3 & 4 year olds, right?! So for now. We'll see. We'll keep an eye out. We'll keep talking about it. We'll keep loving our kiddos!

E has had a lot of change at her school since we got back from the holidays. She cries more, naps less, and in general is having a "tough time," as she calls it. But, in the next two weeks her life will be returning a lot more to normal. Her besties and her will be reunited, and I think she'll start to feel a lot more comfortable and safe in her environment.

Again, seriously, thank you! I HATE confrontation. I'm not good at it. Even when I know it needs to be done and I know it's for the good of my family, I still really struggle with it. But, I so appreciate your support and help.

That's all I've got for you today... but tomorrow, I've got some confessions, including the details of a yelling match I had with my 4 year old this morning. I'm not proud of it. But it happened. And this time, she totally yelled back.... oh boy!


3 comments:

  1. Crystal, been thinkin of you since your post. I'm so glad you have some resolution on this issue. Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have really felt so much support and love on this. I'm just hoping to move on and have E continue to be happy in her school. xo

      Delete
  2. I am glad to hear that a plan was put in place that you are happy with (: I hope E never loses her love of school!

    ReplyDelete